Monday, March 24, 2014

Totem Pole Story

In the summer last year my family took a trip to Jamaica. It was my first time ever leaving the country so I was ecstatic. I had no idea how the trip was going to of but I couldn't wait to get on the plane. When my family and I were about to land I couldn't help but to stare out the window and look at how crystal clear the water was. That sight was truly breath taking. When we landed the first thing I realized was how small the airport was. After going through security and gathering our luggage many Jamaican men approached us and offered to take our bags to the bus. What I didn't realize at the time was that they really needed money so I was happy when my Dad tipped them. On our way to the stunning Hilton Hotel I was saddened by how most of the Jamaicans were living. I discovered the money they made everyday was used to purchase bricks to add to their "houses". I felt so guilty staying in a beautiful hotel when many Jamaicans didn't even have complete houses. The ocean in Jamaica was crystal clear and really warm. We took a boat out to where the water was really deep and we were able to see coral reefs, sting rays, and sharks. We also had the opportunity to ride on a banana float. It was definitely the coolest but scariest experience of my life. The food we ate the whole week was delicious. Every morning there was a buffet of fruit and omelets and every night there was seafood, steak, jerk chicken and vegetables. My trip to Jamaica was such an eye opening experience. It will forever be the most memorable time of my teenage years and I hope to visit again someday soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment